My grandmother loved to sew. I have several blankets and quilts she made especially for me that I cherish. I've always thought to myself that I would one day use those quilts in some way with my own children and let them be somewhat of a "discussion piece" that will provide opportunities to tell stories about her. After my grandfather passed earlier this year, my Mom, sister and I found a couple of quilts stored away in a closet at their home that we had never seen before. I won't even lie...as soon as I saw them I imagined how sweet they would be in a baby's room one day. I was convicted yesterday as the thought ran across my mind that I would keep those quilts hidden away until I could use them with a baby of our own some day. However, only the Lord knows if we will ever have a biological child to share these quilts and precious legacies with. In the meantime, I do know that He is in the process of allowing us to bring a child into our home that He wants us to treat as if they were our own...to let lay their head on grandmother's quilts and tell them about her. I have no doubt that she would be tickled to know that the things she made with her own hands might bring comfort to someone who needs it more than we could ever imagine.
Sunday, November 10, 2013
Grandmother's Quilt
We have been working most of the weekend to begin preparing a bedroom for a precious little boy or girl that we will hopefully meet in the very near future. Aaron painted and I began to visualize how I want to decorate it! :) It's actually been really fun thinking about how we might be able to decorate the room once we know the gender of the child - pinks, blues, etc. A statement we heard at training a few weeks back has been at the forefront of my mind as we've worked this weekend. "For whatever length of time you are with the child, treat them as if they were your own." Give them things you would give your own child, take them places you would take your own child, love them the way you would love your own child.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment