Happy May! A month that has become near and dear to my heart....National Foster Care month. A month that brings awareness to the critical condition of the state that our foster care system is in, a month that hopefully sheds more light in a really dark place for not only children waiting to be placed with a family, but also for families to be enlightened of their calling to bring these children into their homes. It's scary. It's scary to imagine the messy situations that these children may come from, it's scary to bring those messy situations into your home, it's scary to think of falling deeply in love with a child that may not stay with you forever, it's scary to expose your biological children to the reality of an insanely broken world. But how much more scary to me are the thoughts of NOT taking action. I can be selfish in my own little world for the rest of my life, but at the end of my life, I can't even imagine the thoughts that would haunt me knowing that there was a child out there that could have been loved on and cared for and been given Hope....through me! I can give Satan the pleasure of giving in to all those footholds of fear, or I can choose to trust the Lord to drive out those spirits of fear.
This is not a plug to guilt or persuade anyone to jump on the foster care band wagon, although the need for more families is incredible. Knowing from experience, on the Holy Spirit can ready hearts for such an undertaking. These are simply thoughts on what I've been learning over the last couple of years. My heart is broken for these children...for these families. I have prayed for the Lord to make me passionate about things in life that He is passionate about. His Word absolutely makes it clear to me that He is passionate about these children...a Defender for the weak.
I know that many think it strange that fostering/adopting was never our plan B. Sure, we began the process of trying to have a child the traditional way before we started the foster care process. But early on in our marriage, Aaron and I always knew that fostering/adopting was something we intended on pursuing, regardless of our ability or inability to conceive a child. That doesn't mean that adoption as a plan B is a bad or wrong thing, we had just never thought of it that way. We know that ANY child the Lord allows to become part of our family has been His plan since the beginning of time. He doesn't have a plan B...and we are so thankful for that!
Our Littles' are not feeling so little anymore. They are growing by leaps and bounds and seem to become more fun for Aaron and me by the day. Repeating everything we say (yikes!), becoming so adventurous, imaginations getting bigger and bigger, eating us out of house and home. We NEED to start potty training but I'm selfishly so reluctant because I feel like too many "big" things are happening at once, growing them up before I want them to! I know. I know. They can't wear diapers forever. Speaking of potty training...I'd appreciate all the prayers I can get. I know people potty train multiple children every day. I'm sure I will deem said people heroes in the near future. :)
I can't leave this post without providing you with one of the best, God-given resources of our lives. If you are considering learning more about becoming a foster family, I would be honored for you to check out our incredible agency. Here is where you can learn more: http://www.faithbridgefostercare.org/
No comments:
Post a Comment